Top Social

Life in Africa | Devotionals | Books

Do You Love Him?

|
Feed my Sheep
Feed my Sheep


After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”
“Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.
Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”
“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.
 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.
“I tell you the truth, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked; you dressed yourself and went wherever you wanted to go. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will dress you and take you where you don’t want to go.” Jesus said this to let him know by what kind of death he would glorify God. Then Jesus told him, “Follow me.”
Peter turned around and saw behind them the disciple Jesus loved—the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked, “Lord, who will betray you?”  Peter asked Jesus, “What about him, Lord?”
Jesus replied, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? As for you, follow me.”  So the rumor spread among the community of believers that this disciple wouldn’t die. But that isn’t what Jesus said at all. He only said, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?”
This disciple is the one who testifies to these events and has recorded them here. And we know that his account of these things is accurate.

Jesus also did many other things. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written.

John 21:15-25


In this passage we can see a heartfelt conversation between Jesus and Peter, who had disowned him three times before.

Jesus asks Peter three times if he loved Him.  Just as he had 3 opportunities to fail Jesus, here he was being given 3 opportunities to declare his love and devotion.

When Peter answered "yes", Jesus told him to feed his sheep.

There's a big difference between saying "to love Jesus" and actually being willing to serve Him or put that "love" into work.

How beautiful to see that despite Jesus knowing Peter failed him badly, He still desires to entrust him to something so important in His Kingdom.

Peter's life changed when he finally realized who Jesus was


It's beautiful to see Jesus, our ever-forgiving Jesus, asking Peter to commit his life.
Jesus never gave up on this man.

Peter had repented, Jesus had forgiven and it was all in the past...a new chapter. A new opportunity to serve Him.

When we come to Jesus our lives are totally transformed. 

My husband usually says that when someone meets or encounters Jesus, that person can never or will never be the same...it simply can't happen.

Peter changed from being a fisherman to be an evangelist. His identity changed from impetuous to "Rock".

Peter had to face his own feeling and motives when Jesus confronted him.

Are you ready for that?

How would you respond in Jesus asked you "Do you love me? Do you love me?"

Do you even know Him?

Take Heart
Take Heart


Another lesson or two from this passage...
VS.18-19

Whatever the future holds... We can Trust Him


Jesus predicts Peter's death..

Jesus has never promised a trouble-free life. It actually promised that we would have trials and tribulations...

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."- John 16:33

But despite what our future holds, Jesus tells us to follow Him, to follow Him.

When we know He's in control we can surely follow Him

Mind Your Own Business


When Jesus told Peter about all what he would have to go through in order to serve Him and glorify Him, Peter asked Jesus how John would die...Maybe Peter wanted to make sure or confirm that if he was going to have rough times ahead so would John...after all, life as to be fair, doesn't it?

Jesus politely told him to mind his own business. That he shouldn't be concerned with that.

We as well, should remember Jesus' advice when we feel tempted to compare ourselves with others.

I believe God has given us different tasks and our purpose in this earth differs from anyone else's.

We are unique and special...Our duty is just to follow Jesus.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...