Top Social

Life in Africa | Devotionals | Books

Discerning God's Voice

|
John 10:3-4
John 10:3-4


Long time ago I had the opportunity to read   listen to Lysa TerKeurst "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God" and the part where she talks about how to discern God's voice or how to know if God is truly speaking really made an impact and my life and since then it has helped me to be more aware of His voice. It has helped me to make better decisions.

Here I share my notes and reflections...Hope you're blessed today! :-)

Listen to my Voice...


God wants us to live in expectation of hearing from Him. Because He's our father...and He calls us friends.

Hearing God's voice doesn't mean to actually hear (audible) a voice (certain tone)...it's more like an impression or what we usually call "a feeling".

Everyday God speaks to us:


Sometimes He invites us to draw closer and listen as He reveals Himself, His Character and His Direction.
He calls us to participate in His purposes.
He whispers to reminds us how He loves us.

What a great joy this is!
Yet, it is unfortunate that still many believers are missings this vital element in their relationship with Him.

So,
How do I know if God is speaking to me?
How to I recognize that is His voice speaking and not my own ideas?
What if I feel God is asking me to do something does not make sense?

First of all...


There are no magic formulas BUT it will be close  impossible to recognize His voice if you don't really know Him. Think of how you can recognize the voice of your child in a playground full of children. 

The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. -John 10:3-4


John 10:27-28
John 10:27-28


My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of. John 10:27-28 


5 Key Questions to help you determine if what you hear is from God.


1- Does what I'm hearing line up with Scripture? (YOU MUST KNOW IT!)


God would not ask us something that contradicts His Word.

God's word is the language the Holy Spirit uses to help us to hear what God is speaking to our hearts.

Prepare and renew your mind:

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.- Romans 12:2

You don't have to make Scripture complicated! Just make sure you use an easy translation (one you enjoy reading)...and start simple...simply start! :-)

2.- Is it consistent with God's character?


What is what God's Spirit desire?

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. Romans 8:5

Is it consistent with love, peace, etc? 
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. .- Galatians 5:22-23

3.- Is what I'm hearing being confirmed through messages I'm hearing at church or studies I'm having in my quiet times?


Here's the thing, meetings and services are not supposed to be for you to hear from God but more to confirm what you've been hearing. As mentioned above, you need to know (intimately) God in order to recognize His voice.

4.- Is it beyond me?


Have you ever felt God is asking you to do something beyond your ability (at least that's what you think) or natural human desire? to the point that you know it can only happen by God's intervention? That's exactly the point! God's wants to partner up with you!

Don't look at your inabilities and dwell in insecurities, instead, look at the almighty God!

God has called you, therefore He's equipped you!

5.- Would it please God?


Even if what you hear does not come from God but pleases Him...why not doing it?

Jesus is the one who provides a way to communicate with God.

The way God wants to connect with us is to provide direction for us in life.

He's gone before us and sees the dangers and trials we face.

He's telling us the way to go, perspectives to keep, anything to avoid.

He's speaking to us because we're His own!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...